chemistry formula chart
Best Results From
Yahoo Answers Youtube
From Yahoo Answers
Question:Please help me fill out this chart I am given a few things and the rest of the questions were left blank for me to fill in, please help me!!
1. When given: Sodium Hydroxide--> what is the formula of the compound, Name & Formula of Positive Ions in Aqueous Solution, and Name &Formula of Neg. Ions in Aqueous Solution?
2. When given: The formula of the compound as FeCl_3_: what is the name of compound, name & formula of Positive Ions in Aqueous Solution, and Name & Formula of Negative Ions in Aqueous Solution?
3. When given: The name & formula of postitive ions in aqueous solution: hydrogen ion: H+ and the name & formula of negative ions in aqueous solution to be chloride: Cl- What is the name of the compound and the formula of the compond?
4. When given the name of the compound to be copper(ll) Nitrate: What is the formula of the compound, name & formula of Positive Ions in Aqueous Solution, and the name & formula of Negative Ions in aqueous solution?
5. When given: The name and formula of positive ions in aqueos soltuion as Potassium: K+ and name & formula of negative ions in aqueous solution as ferrocyanide: [Fe(CN)_6_] ^4- what is the name and formula of the compound?
6. When given the name of the compound: Sulfuric Acid: What is the formula of the compound, name and formula of positive ions in aqueous solution, and name and formula of negative ions in aqueous solution?
7. When given the name and formula of postive ions in aqueous solution: copper(ll): Cu^2+ and Name and formula of negative ions in aqueous solution: Sulfate: SO_4_^2- what is the name and formula of the compound?
8. when given: formula of compound Zn(NO_3_)_2_ what is the name of the compound and what are the names and formulas of the negative and postive ions in aqueous solution?
9. when given Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate: what is the formula of the compound, and what are the names and formulas of the positive and negative ions in aqueous solution?
sodium ion Na+
hydroxide ion OH-
iron (III) chloride
iron (II) ion Fe3+
chloride ion Cl-
HCl hydrogen chloride
copper (II) ion Cu2+
hydrogen ion H+
CuSO4 Copper (II) sulphate
zinc ion Zn2+
sodium ion Na+
hydrogen carbonate HCO3-
Question:When writing Chemistry formulas, when using the Acid System, how do you know if it is binary or ternary? What defines binary and what defines ternary? Thanks!
Answers:binary means that the acid is made up of 2 elements. such as HCl, HF
ternary means that the acid is made up of 3 elements such as H2SO4, HNO3
chemistry isnt my best subject so im a little confused. how to i write formulas?
ex: Fe(3+) and CN(-)
would it be Fe(CN)3?
and also can you help me with this one im also confused..
ex: Give the name and formula of the acid corresponding to the oxoanions
-bromate ion, BrO3-
Answers:Its easy to write formulae of compounds if you know the combining power (that is charge) of ions.
Fe 3+ carries 3 positive charges. To neutralize 3 + charge, it needs 3 negative charges. CN (-) carries only 1 negative charge. So, 3 CN (-) ions are required per Fe (3+) ion for charge neutralization.
So, the formula for ferric cyanide is Fe(CN)3.
Consider the case of magnessium ion (Mg(2+)) with two anions chloride ion (Cl (-) ) and oxide ion (O (2-) ).
2 negative charges are required to neutralize one Mg (2+) ion.
Cl (-) carries only 1 negative charge. So, 2 such ions are required for Mg (2+) ion. The formula is MgCl2
O (2-) carries 2 negative charges. So, only 1 oxide ion is sufficient for Mg (2+) ion. The formula is MgO (and not Mg2O2).
BrO3 (-) is the oxoanion of BROMIC ACID HBrO3.
Question:Below are the chemistry questions I am supposed to figure out by tomorrow...
a. Caproic acid, a compound of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen, is 62.0% carbon by mass and 10.41% hydrogen by mass. What is its empirical formula?
b The molar mass of caproic acid is known to be at least 80 amu and no more than 130 amu. What is teh molecular formula of caproic acid?
Thank you for your help!!!
Answers:1.Let the empirical formula is CxHyOz
Obtaining x,y,z :
Now, for obtaining x,y,z divide above result by least value i.e. by 1.724
x=5.166/1.724=3 (rounded off)
Thus empirical formula will be C3H6O.
2. the molar mass of caproic acid is 116.16
n=116.16/58=2 (rounded off)
now putting the value of n in (C3H6O)n,
we get the Molecular formula of caproic acid as C6H12O2.
Chemistry: Describing Chemical Formulas :www.mindbites.com In this lesson, you will learn the common nomenclature of chemistry. Professor Harman defines and contrasts atoms, molecules, ions, and ionic salts/covalent solids. Then Professor Harman covers written chemical formulas and visual representations of molecules. A molecular formula is a chemical formula that represents the actual number of atoms of each element within a molecule. An empirical formula is a chemical formula of a compound written with the smallest integer ratio of subscripts. Empirical formulas are always used to describe ionic compounds and covalent network solids. Various visual representations of molecules include the ball and stick three dimensional model that closely represents the structure of the molecule, a line drawing that approximates the structure in two dimensional terms, and a shorthand often used by organic chemists. Professor Harman warns that molecules are defined by their unique arrangements of atoms, and a formula can represent many different molecular compounds (known as isomers). Taught by Professor Harman, this lesson was selected from a broader, comprehensive course, Chemistry. This course and others are available from Thinkwell, Inc. The full course can be found at www.thinkwell.com The full course covers atoms, molecules and ions, stoichiometry, reactions in aqueous solutions, gases, thermochemistry, Modern Atomic Theory, electron configurations, periodicity, chemical bonding, molecular geometry, bonding theory ...