Advantage and Disadvantage of Shampoo
Shampoo is a liquid detergent, it is a hair care products and is used for the removal of dirt, oil, skin particles, dandruff, pollutants and other contaminants that build up in the hair.
Shampoo being a liquid detergent is convenient to use it in our daily life. Compared to powdered detergents liquid detergents dissolve more rapidly, in cold particularly and they usually generate less dust and easier to use.
Aesthetic values of shampoo with respect to it appearance, fragrance, viscosity is important than any other liquid detergent. Development and maintenance of the product and also is performance and the aesthetic property is always noted by the users.
The additives in shampoos are active in other areas other than cleaning and foaming, they are also designed to provide performances like hair luster, manageability and elimination of dandruff.
The concentration is shampoo is about 8% as it requires shampoos to be mild to skin and low irritation to eyes. In shampoos salts like sodium, and alcohol ether sulphates are widely used as surfactants in shampoo.
Advantages of shampoo:
- Shampoo keeps hair silky and smooth.
- The shampoo foam is pleasing.
- Keeps dirt, dust, oil and pollutants away.
- Shampoo is easy to rinse.
- There is minimum skin and eye irritation.
- It gives a thick and creamy feeling.
- Pleasant fragrance is imparted.
- Is less toxic.
- It is biodegradable.
- It is slightly acidic.
- Causes less damage to hair.
- Repairs damaged hair.
Disadvantages of shampoo:
- Sodium laureth sulfate is commonly used in shampoos which may harm eyes and skin and may even be carcinogenic.
- Use of ethylene oxide with sodium laureth sulfate may result in 1, 4-dioxane is said to be carcinogenic.
- Continuous exposure to this can cause headache and vertigo and soreness in the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.
- There is an additional ether chain which is an inexpensive cleaning agent; it may result in severe scalp discomfort and also loss of hair.
- The nitrogen based SLES can be carcinogenic and can lead top irritability, skin rash and other allergic symptoms.
- The use of SLES decreases new hair growth and extends hair loss period.
- The existence of SLES in hair might worsen follicles of hair increase scalp related problems.